Thistoo Full Logo Thistoo Logo Icon Thistoo Logo White Icon Thistoo Logo Icon Inverted

What happens to my Children?

The Ministry of the Attorney General outlines that following a separation, all couples with children must establish a Parenting Plan. This term is loosely defined, and can describe any agreement on child accommodation - from a spoken agreement decided between partners, to a legally binding contract decided by a judge.

Custody Options

Joint Custody is an arrangement where both parents have input into all major decisions affecting the children. These decisions can include health, activities, schooling, and travel. In order to create a joint custody arrangement the children should split their time between the parents at minimum 60% with one parent and 40% with the other.
Sole Custody means only one parent has primary care of the children. It is legally defined as a situation where the children live with one parent more than 60% of the time. In a sole custody situation the non custodial parent may still have equal input on important decisions.
Split Custody is a less common arrangement where one child lives with one parent while another child lives with the other, both in sole custody arrangements. This arrangement can be particularly detrimental to the children's experience.


Making important decisions about your child's education can be complicated. Having a strong separation agreement in place that concretely sets out expectations is critical.

Decision Making

Based upon the contents of your separation agreement you can be the sole decision maker for your children, a collaborator, or have no say at all. It is important you understand your agreement and what impact it will have on your role with your children.

It is recommended that you approach joint-decision making with your partner with an amicable attitude. Promoting stability and consistency in a tumultuous time helps everyone to adjust more quickly.